So today I decided to try to follow a recipe for once, as usually I throw everything randomly into a bowl and hope for the best – which hasn’t failed me yet – but these cupcakes taste AMAZING!
I used this recipe, from All Recipes UK but used Betty Crocker’s pre-made vanilla icing as I didn’t have enough icing sugar to make the buttercream.
- For the cupcakes:
- 225g margarine or butter (or both)
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins | Extra time: 30 mins, cooling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line cupcake trays with 24 cupcake cases.
- Beat together the margarine or butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding flour occasionally if curdling occurs.
- Sift the remaining flour and baking powder into the bowl, then gradually whisk in the milk and vanilla. Spoon half of this mixture into half of the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave to cool on a cooling tray.
That’s exactly what I did…
I made the cake *see previous post* in a little heart baking tin, added the icing and poured the sprinkles around the edges, holding a knife against the side of the cake so they stayed in place.
Before I had time to add the icing to the cupcakes, my boyfriend came home and started munching on them! – A good sign they taste good after all 🙂